The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - Lao Tzu
I stood with my arms outstretched like a starfish announcing my latest conquest. At 5400 ft the entire state of Maharashtra lay at my feet hailing the conqueror. I had successfully climbed the ‘Everest of Maharashtra’. An exhilarated feeling ran through me giving me goosebumps. Nestled in the Sahayadri ranges, Kalsubai is one of the prominent trekking points in the Western Ghats. However, unlike other trekking points, proper pathway and well laid out steps and ladders make the climb a less daunting task for the ‘muggle’ trekkers.
Like Ninja turtles, the four of
us mounted our backpacks and started off from a small village called Bari, a
little after two in the afternoon. The village showed signs of an impending
season of merciless summer. The sun had soaked nearby ponds dry. Women with
their earthenware queued up at a nearby borewell while some elderly men sat
under a tree that spread its wings to provide shelter from the sweltering heat.
The grass was sparse and what was left of it had turned yellow. Intermediate
breeze was a welcome guest. Even the livestock acknowledged the summer that was
upon them and made sure that none of the water that spilled over went waste,
lapping up excess water.
An uphill task
We began our journey at quarter
to three. After receiving some preliminary advice from a localite we set off on
our journey. My journey to the top was more of a start-stop campaign. I had
scaled the much more treacherous Harishchandragad year ago but Kalsubai proved
to be an onerous task from the word go. Probably it was the heat or just a
mental block or maybe both. I was to find out soon.
As our journey to the top
gathered pace I began to slow down. The winding paths and the upward trajectory
kept adding a few pounds to my untrained leg muscles with every step. Shallow
quick breaths made me feel as if oxygen was being sucked out of my lungs. My
mouth soon turned dry reflecting the moisture-less environmental surroundings.
I began to thirst and stop at regular intervals. My friends kept egging me on sometimes
hurling abuses at me and sometimes there were just kind words. Either ways they
meant well and proved to be just the sort of push I needed under the prevailing
conditions.
The journey was fraught with
stamina and mental strength issues. Every time I rested to catch my breath or
have water it kept chipping away at my confidence. I kept telling my friends I
can’t do it and they kept urging me to push on.
It was not all gloomy though. Breathtaking
views of the villages and the farm areas in the surrounding Nashik district were
a sight to adore as we kept clawing our way to the top. At regular intervals
there were small sheds made by the villagers. Some were used my villagers as refreshment
kiosks for the trekkers.
Task accomplished
Our major concern was reaching in
time to the top of the mount to catch a glimpse of the sunset and set our tent
before the light fades. My pace was slower than a tortoise on its worst day. I
kept backing myself to do it. I knew I could do it. One step at a time. The
perseverance and constant encouragement from friends paid off and I made it to
the top. I did it. It took us 3 hours. The
view from the top of Kalsubai was breathtaking. Gusty winds and a fading sun
made all the struggle and pain disappear. We set up our tent just below the top
of the peak. Collecting dry sticks from surrounding areas, we set up a bbq area.
Using basalt stones which proved to be good enough to make a sigri, we designed
a makeshift bbq. Using slender sticks as a makeshift grill plate we used a
handy trident shaped tool as skewers to bbq sausages and kebabs. The thrill of barbequing
in the wild was simply wonderful. The ingenuity of using tools made available
to us by Mother Nature made us feel closer to our ancestors.
All’s well that ends well
After drowning our exhaustion in
mild spirits and gobbling up our barbequeued food, we retired for the day in
our humble tents. The next day we packed our belongings, cleared the area of
all rubbish. We refilled our bottles with the help of a nearby well which was
shortly followed by our descent. The climb down the mountain was relatively easy
but slippery at times. The view of the valley down was simply awesome. We had a
bird’s eye view of the contours of the land. It took us just under 2 hours
including all the stops we made to capture precious moments through our phone lenses.
Just before we could reach our starting point we quenched our thirst with some
home-made lemon juice. Upon reaching the start point we rushed straight to the
bore well pump to quench our thirst. After that we helped ourselves with some
lip smacking kanda poha and local tea. After cleaning ourselves up we packed
our trekking kit in the car’s trunk and headed back to our homes. Thus came to
an end a memorable trek. 

Nice one Iggy
ReplyDelete